DIPLOMACY

                       


I believe that my most unique or special skill would be my Diplomacy. I think I am deft in the art of Diplomacy and negotiations. Sometimes, even I am left awestruck, considering how easily I am able to convince someone to support my cause. Some people strive hard and spend all their lives to master this skill but I guess it’s just inborn in me. Right from when I was young, I knew how to find my way around the annoying aunts and uncles. I knew how to convince my parents to get me my favorite toys or meals. I just never had to put that extra effort. What really supplemented my growth in this skill, was my entry into the world of debating and Model United Nations (MUN). The only difference here was that this time, my skill was being used to get me awards in various United Nations Committees. It presented me with new opportunities and I am proud to say that I was able to make the best use of it. I am known to be Punctilious and Conscientious in whatever I do, because for me there is no scope for mistakes. Model United Nations provided me with a platform to showcase my skills as a young diplomat. Not only this, it has also given me the self-confidence to put across my views in a convincing and emphatic manner. I knew what was expected of me and I had to deliver. As a result of this, I have been able to attend and organize a total of 20 MUN’s with an award ratio of 1:1.  The skill of diplomacy and negotiation has taught me to have a balanced approach in understanding issues and try to reach an amicable solution. 

Diplomacy is an asset which mostly aims at a win-win situation. For me the true essence of Diplomacy lies in the difference between knowledge and Wisdom. There is a very fine line of difference between these two. Consider this example- Knowing that certain stigmas exist in our society is not enough, acting on them by raising voice or creating a Non- Governmental Organization(NGO) is needed.  


My notion of Diplomacy has also changed over these years. I strongly support the notion of Nelson Mandela that bravery is not the absence of fear, but our victory over it. Earlier I thought that the scope of diplomatic skills was limited to successfully evading the persons I didn’t like or to get the things that I wanted. But now, I have come to terms with the fact that Diplomacy, is a word of honor and prestige. Stigmas and stereotypes remain etched in our Socio –Political Milieu, and Diplomacy is an important tool to address these issues without causing any misunderstanding. 

To put it in the words of Barack Obama, “In a world of complex threats, our security and leadership depends on all elements of our power - including strong and principled diplomacy.”


There is a societal notion that Diplomacy is restricted to the elites such as the ambassadors of a country and bureaucrats. But I feel that it is a positive trait that all of us must have in today’s diverse and challenging world. To be honest, Diplomacy provides you with a new outlook towards life. Instead of questioning the impact, you start questioning the roots or the cause. I am, by no means, an expert in this field, but through what I have experienced till date, I can say this with surety that, the skill of Diplomacy is important in handling sensitive and critical issues. I still look forward to exploring all its different aspects and meaning which very well might not end,before I do. And that, ladies and Gentleman, is Diplomacy for me.

Comments